Serves: 8 to 10 rolls
Time: 40 minutes total
Roasted Cashew Sauce
- ¾ cup roasted cashews
- 2 TBSP hoisin sauce
- 2 TBSP soy sauce
- 1 TBSP lemon sauce (or juice of 1 lemon)
- ¼ cup of water (add a bit more as needed if the sauce is too thick)
For the rolls
- Marinated tempeh
- 8 to 10 rice papers
- Shredded carrots (approx. 2 medium carrots)
- Thinly sliced bell pepper (approx. 2 small peppers)
- Shredded red cabbage (2 to 3 cups)
- Chopped green onions (2 to 3 stalks)
- Other additions : cooked rice noodles, bean sprouts, cucumber, fresh herbs (cilantro, basil, mint)
- 250g block of plain tempeh
- 1.5 TBSP mild curry paste
- 1.5 TBSP maple syrup (or honey)
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- Dash of black pepper
- 3 TBSP coconut milk (or more if the marinade is too thick)
- 1 TSP lemon juice
For the rolls
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
2. Mix all the ingredients for the marinade (except for the coconut milk) until a paste is formed. Add the coconut milk.
3. Slice the tempeh into thin strip. Place the tempeh in a Tupperware, drizzle the marinade on top and rub the marinade on all the tempeh strips. Let it marinade from 10 minutes to an hour.
4. Transfer the tempeh onto a baking sheet. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until the tempeh is starting to crisp. Flip halfway.
5. Prep your rolling station with the veggies and rice papers.
6. Dip each paper in warm water for 10 minutes, then place on a large (slightly wet) cutting board. Pile up the veggies, avocado and tempeh strips. Roll from one end to the middle, fold the side edges in, and roll over to seal (your first rolls might look rough… but it will get better as you do them!)
7. Serve with the roasted cashew peanut sauce *
For the sauce
1- If you are using raw cashew, place the nuts on a baking sheet and bake in the oven at 350 for a few minutes. Keep an eye on them! Nuts will very quickly burn, so you want to have them roasted golden. Let chill for a few minutes.
2- In a blender or food processor, blend all the ingredients for the sauce until you get a smooth consistency. Add water if needed.