· 2 small eggplants
· 1 zucchini , chopped
· 1 red bell pepper, finely chopped
· 200 g white mushrooms (approx. 6-8 mushrooms), finely chopped
· 1 small yellow onion , finely chopped
· 6 cups fresh spinach
· 3 garlic cloves
· 1 tbsp olive oil
· Salt and pepper to season
· 3 cups cottage cheese
· 2 tbsp Italian seasoning
· 4 cups tomato sauce (I like Costco’s “Simply Natural Organic Tomato & Basil Pasta Sauce)
· 3 cups shredded cheese of choice (mozzarella, cheddar, Monterey Jack, etc)
· Fresh basil for garnish (optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees
2. Cut off the ends of the eggplants, then slice lengthwise about 1/8 inch (3-mm) thick
3. Sprinkle the eggplant slices with salt on both sides and let side for 10 minutes to draw out moisture. Pat dry with paper towel to remove excess liquid.
4. In a (greased with non-stick spray or olive oil) 22 X 33 cm baking dish, place the eggplant slices (it’s okay if the slices overlap) and bake for 15 minutes, as you prepare the rest of the ingredients.
5. While the eggplant is in the oven, heat a non-stick skillet over medium heat. Add a drizzle of olive oil. Once hot, add the zucchini, mushroom, red pepper and onion. Season with salt and pepper. Cook 4 minutes or until just slightly caramelize. Add the garlic and cook for another 2 minutes. Add the spinach and stir until wilted. Set aside
6. While the vegetables are cooking, pour the cottage cheese into the processor and blend it until smooth, about 1 minute. Transfer the mixture to large mixing bowl. Add the Italian seasoning and sautéed vegetables. Season with salt and pepper.
7. Once the eggplant is out of the oven, set the slices aside to have an empty baking dish. Spread a layer (about 2 cups) of the tomato sauce evenly over the bottom of the dish. Place a layer of eggplant slices (it’s okay if they overlap a little bit). Spread half of the cottage cheese/veggie mixture of the eggplants. Top with a sprinkle of shredded cheese (about 1 cup)
8. Repeat with the other half of sauce , eggplants, cheese mixture and finish off with the rest of the cheese.
9. Bake for 45 minutes, or until the eggplant is tender. Turn on broiler for 5 minutes, or until the cheese on top is browned and bubbly.
10. Remove the “lasagna” from the oven and let rest for 10 minutes before service. Serve garnished with fresh basil. Enjoy!